Musings from Story Jam Land

10/27/09

Sound Bites


I was worried. I know...I've been performing for awhile now (last year marked my 20th year of being in rock bands), but still, sometimes I get that panic-in-the-gut feeling.


The panicky feeling I get now isn't related to nerves - I did used to get very nervous performing before a crowd - no, it is more related to the details of the gig. Will the sound be ok? Will I remember the chords if I'm playing piano or guitar? Will I be able to engage the audience while looking at the fret board? Did I practice enough?



When I sing at someone's wedding, the only two things I fret over are: 1. How is my monitor mix? and 2. What does the band think of my performance? I KNOW I can make a crowd happy at any party or wedding. It's not hard. With great musicians, good song choices and a really professional band leader, any jobbing band can rock it. Rocking it is a given in the high-caliber bands and orchestras, so sometimes the ones who take notice of your golden (or not so golden) moments are your band mates.

But, when it's my band doing mostly my original songs in a small bar or club, the pressure is ON and I am the one who is truly responsible for bringing game. Well, I can't bring game unless the technical stuff is solid. Mainly, good SOUND. That means that I should be able to hear myself perfectly without screaming, and

that every instrument is beautifully balanced in my monitors.


Happily (and to my surprise), I did get good sound on Friday at Bill's Blues in Evanston. I was able to free myself from worry. I got into my performer flow and rocked it. The great crowd of friends really helped the energy too and I was able to sing and perform with unabashed confidence. After a bad experience last year and many months of not wanting to perform out at clubs, I am now getting interested again. My new caveat: there must be good sound. My next show is with a group of solo performers at The Wilmette Theatre on November 19th, where I know the sound and crowd will be fantastic.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Adventures in Carpentry said...

Nice photo!! You should have all the confidence there is in Chicago. You are one of the best singers in Chicago!!

October 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home