Musings from Story Jam Land

6/18/09

Happy in the Crowd

In addition to singing a lot lately, I've been going to lots of shows. I've been to Ravinia a few times, and I can be found lurking in the back of many a Chicago club (or theatre), checking out the bands, the singers, the acts. I love live performance!

But I get the feeling that some performers feel uncomfortable when fellow artists show up. Being a performer watching performers isn't any different than being a "person" watching performers, other than a performer might have more understanding of what went into the performance and rehearsal, technique-wise, and how things sound.
I do know that seeing performing colleagues in your audience can sort of boost up your energy. You feel you have to bring your game a bit more, and you know that all your "tricks" are pretty transparent. It might make you a little more self-conscious too, but there is something titillating about singing in front of fellow singers.
Often it just feels cool and communal, and I personally know that if I'm "on," onlooking performers can really appreciate the work, maybe more so than the average audience member. Most of us performers are easily entranced by live works, which is why we have chosen to do it ourselves! I believe mostly we love hearing each other and seeing each other. 

I think we also learn from watching others do their thing. Would you agree?

When I was a kid, my parents used to take us to New York City to see what was happening on Broadway (I know, how lucky, right?). I was mesmerized by the people on stage - Who were they? Where did they live? What did they do in "real life?" I thought they were special and fascinating and I still think performers are interesting. 

Sure, if the show I'm attending stinks, my mind can start to wander and I imagine all the ways I would like to see it improved, but for the most part, I am in awe and think it's a blast to get out and see artists do their thing. 

And, sometimes I'm a little jealous that I'm not up there too! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home