Musings from Story Jam Land

8/22/20

Maybe an Upside

This is for no one in particular, but here are a few positives for embracing the pause and recognizing the great fortune it is to be one of the few who hasn't lost everything during this global pandemic. 

Weeding Out. As an inveterate people pleaser, I am very thankful to be able to say no right now. Or...to not have to say yes. What a relief to let all that shit go and forego obligational activities. 

Developing interests & Skills. In the beginning of the quarantine, I was tinkering on the piano and guitar quite a bit while engaging in despondent news consumption and committing a few recipe fails. But all of that got rapidly dreary, so I tried out some online classes. Social justice, pilates, improv, storytelling...

After grinding rigorously on personal stories all summer, I spontaneously entered my name in a story slam this past week, which I won. I have to admit, it felt kinda nice to "legitimize" myself. Someone said to me, "Well I certainly hope you won! Don't you teach that stuff for crying out loud!?"

Being introspective Doesn't Always Have to Lead to Anxiety and Depression. Maybe this era of introspection can prepare us for whatever shitstorm is to come, personal, political, or otherwise. Enjoy the calm before the storm and stock up your courage and hand sanitizers my progressive peeps! 

Creativity Can Thrive. Social media influencers and reality pop culture have cheapened almost every known medium (by quality not dollars). Let's hope our artistry will again rise with the times. Maybe a little more time and reflection will bring more quality content and less fake/real housewives and opportunists? Social media has remained front and center, but with fewer places to be, doesn't that mean we're all conjuring our most brilliant ideas right now? 

My singer songwriter friend said it with such subtle reflection: "If you're not getting better at your chosen art right now, give it up!" I assume that doesn't include those with any mental health challenges one is prone to having during times of, you know, worldwide pandemics.

The struggle is universal. I know we're NOT all in the same boat—some boats are barely afloat. But in this divisive time, the massive "leveling off" has afforded those like-minded the luxury of further seeking common ground, and those not-so-like-minded to hopefully recognize the humanity in others. 

Too wishful? 

Well then how 'bout this: EVERYONE IS HOME! As most people are basically housebound, no one is "missing the party." 

FOMO-ers: take a breather. 

How are you spending your time? I've discovered plant-based diets, a bike, some great charities, my forehand, the art of material donations, old friends through Zoom sessions. How about you?

I hope you are well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home